For the first time in 47 years, the Tianguis Turístico, the largest travel conference in Mexico that took place in Mexico City, on the 26-29th March and it is one of my favorite cities in the world.
This year’s event boasted the presence of over 2,000 buyers – including tour operators and travel agencies from more than 70 countries – holding business meetings with close to 2,000 exhibitors. Tianguis Turistico took place at Centro Citibanamex, a world-class architecture venue with a capability to host a wide range of events of any scale.
During the main opening ceremony the robust tourism offerings were highlighted, including beaches, mountains, World Heritage sites, protected natural areas, and 132 Magic Towns (Pueblos Mágicos). In Tianguis Turístico more than 80,000 pre-scheduled business appointments were coordinated.
In 2022 Mexico received 28.4 billion dollars representing 14% more than in 2019, the hotel capacity increased by about 22,000 new hotel rooms every year. Last year 39.4 million tourists visited Mexico and this year 2023 about 40 million tourists are expected to visit Mexico. In 2019, it was 45 million but given that the new tourist profile is spending more, they are expecting to receive more than 31 billion dollars in revenue.
Here I want to highlight my most important learnings and figures I saw during Tianguis Turístico:
– Tabasco Chocolate Festival: from 15-19th of November this festival will take place in Villahermosa, the capital of Tabasco, the Chocolate Festival, which will bring together more than 150 exhibitors of cocoa and chocolate realted products as well as national and international gastronomy professionals.
In this festival of flavor you can taste traditional dishes, exotic foods, desserts and drinks prepared with chocolate. It will also offer tours of cocoa farms, conferences, workshops, competitions, as well as beer, wine, mezcal tastings accompanied by chocolate.
I definitely need to be there!
– Amigo Yucatán DMC: the most reliable DMC in Yucatán that I know. I used them for my trip around the state in 2021 and it was all perfectly organised. So I can only recommend them.
They can organise an event or a leisure trip in Mérida or around the Yucatán area, great suggestions, reservations, all you need.
– Los Cabos: one of the few states in Mexico that I still had not visited. During a great dinner that I attended, the new campaign was presented, which is focused on the wellness segment, with the aim of promoting and encouraging the holistic services offered in the destination ranging from gastronomic to cultural experiences that meet the preferences of visitors.
There you can also find the Grand Velas Los Cabos – the only hotel in the world that has 5 Forbes Stars and 5 diamonds – another hotel on my bucket list-. It offers a space for retreat and rest, it offers spa service and has a golf course. The gastronomic aspect could not be missing either, since the resort has a culinary tour that includes French flavors, traditional Mexican dishes or infallible Italian cuisine.
During the dinner the Grand Velas Boutique Los Cabos was presented. It will be a small hotel resort exclusively for adults, consisting of 79 suites with sea views.
– Sensira Resort & Spa: I added this beautiful resort to my bucket list. Sensira is located in the town of Puerto Morelos, immediately south of Cancún at the start of the Riviera Maya.
A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, this resort caters to multi-generational families and groups with plenty of activities that appeal to everyone. From kids’ clubs for ages 18 months to teens, as well as adults-only amenities, all are kept entertained.
I want to highlight the fabulous Diamond Suite with a rooftop terrace featuring an own private pool and whirlpool tub overlooking the sea. The 2,708 square-foot suite sleeps up to 7 and boasts an impressive panoramic view of the Mexican Caribbean. The resort offers 5 bars and 8 restaurants including four specialty restaurants. From the rich flavors of Tuscany at La Tentazione and the Old West saloon-inspired Rodeo Grill to the flavors of Mexico at La Finca de Ana and the adults-only sophistication of Galerie des Sens.
And surely my favorite part of the resort is the Spa with art themed treatment rooms, inspired by great artists such as Van Gogh, Picasso, Carlos Mérida, Miró, Klimt and Matisse.
Cannot wait to visit.
– Sustainability in Nuevo León: from the Ministry of Tourism of the State of Nuevo León, aligned with the State Development Plan 2021-2026 and the Sustainable Development Goals, the objective is to promote the development of the sector in a sustainable manner with a perspective of inclusion and equity, that is why actions are carried out to include the entire chain, through training promoting awareness of the importance of the three spheres of sustainability: Economic, Social and Environmental and the impact of tourism, guides and decalogues of good sustainable practices are developed; On the subject of inclusion and equity, a Social Tourism Program is carried out, which seeks to include all people from different social layers and enjoy the beautiful tourist attractions offered by the State of Nuevo León.
– Gay Games Guadalajara: the Jalisco Ministry of Tourism, the Guadalajara Convention and Visitors Bureau, and the Puerto Vallarta Public Trust for Tourism Promotion and Publicity presented the 11th edition of the Gay Games, the world’s most important event for sexual diversity, inclusion, and sports, to the international press in a lunch.
In 2023, the Gay Games will be take place for the first time ever in a Latin-American country. Guadalajara will be the host city for this great event to be held from the 3rd-11th of November of this year. The press conference at the Tianguis Turístico was presided over by the State Secretary of Tourism, Vanessa Pérez Lamas, the Director of the Guadalajara Convention and Visitors Bureau, Gustavo Staufert, the Director of the Public Trust for Tourism Promotion and Publicity of Puerto Vallarta and Mónica Sánchez, General Director of Gay Games Guadalajara.
– Hyatt: I attended a breakfast in Andaz Mexico City Condesa where Hyatt announced its strategic growth of its brand portfolio in Mexico, the continued expansion of Hyatt’s Mexico brand portfolio which is expected to increase by 30% to 2025. Coming soon in spring 2023, Hyatt Regency Mexico City Insurgentes will be a new capital-city hub for business and leisure travelers – and notable planned openings in 2024 include Park Hyatt Los Cabos at Cabo del Sol, which will mark the first Park Hyatt hotel in Mexico and Grand Hyatt Cancún Beach Resort, a luxurious destination on the Yucatán Peninsula. With Hyatt’s acquisition of Dream Hotel Group, Hyatt is expanding The Unbound Collection by Hyatt brand with three new luxury Chatwal-branded hotels. The Chatwal San Miguel will debut in 2024, featuring 44 freestanding villas and 125 branded residences, perched on a dramatic cliff overlooking the Laja River Valley and world-renowned UNESCO World Heritage church steeples of San Miguel de Allende.
In 2025, Thompson Monterrey is set to expand the luxury-lifestyle Thompson Hotels brand’s presence in a new market in Mexico, and Park Hyatt Mexico City is expected to welcome guests to Mexico’s first urban Park Hyatt.
– Grupo Posadas: one of the top Mexican brands organised a press lunch in its hotel Fiesta Americana México Toreo. There they shared their future developments: Live Aqua Beach Resort in Cancún is is an adult-only, all-inclusive resort with a stunning wellness and relaxation facilities, the resort features 371 reimagined guestrooms, an upgraded Aqua Club. Another bucket list for me: Live Aqua Private Residences Los Cabos: it welcomes guests to the largest accommodations in the area, in beautifully designed residences boasting modern full-kitchens, washer/dryers and terraces. And in Monterrey, the capital of Nuevo León, we can find Live Aqua Urban Resort Monterrey: perfectly located in the financial district, this stylish, modern resort is the essence of sublime sensory details and avant-garde style. Upon arrival at the hotel, guests are greeted by sleek architecture, sophisticated décor and floor-toceiling windows offering sweeping views of Monterrey.
So many new resorts and updates by Grupo Posadas.
– Condesa DF is one of my favorite hotels in Mexico City. I attended a brunch and chatted with Rafael Micha, its director. The classic building totally restored represents the comfort, the hip energy and the coolness. Both chic and informal. Soon the rooms will get a deep uplifting. The hotel is the place to be with its unique and wonderful terrace.
– Tesoros de México: is a Premium program of the Ministry of Tourism, which aims to promote the excellence of Hotels and Restaurants whose high standards of service, architectural and gastronomic characteristics, reflect and promote the richness of Mexican Culture. Hotels and Restaurants with High Levels of Quality in the service can participate, with facilities that have been carefully rescued and restored by their owners, who have printed a modern touch preserving the original essence. The establishments that are part of the Treasures of Mexico Program are also a guarantee of: Authenticity, culture, Folklore, Art and Nature. Its differentiating characteristics represent the main competitive advantage of the members of the Program.
– Menchaca Studio: is a 100% Mexican art company that works with Wixarikas and sculptors to promote Mexican art, in Mexico and in the world. It began in 2010, with the dream of Cesar Menchaca for the great love and passion he has for this country.He managed to transform the lives of hundreds of families members of indigenous people, mostly with whom he has promoted the creation of 200 huge art pieces (real size or larger) exhibited in four continents.
Through various techniques ranging from sketching and molding, to the packaging of his works, he has developed an unprecedented process of collective artistic construction that results in unique pieces.
These pieces are also sold in Barcelona in MagicMex with unique customised designs.
– Tren Maya: is a new rail transport service that interconnects the main cities and tourist areas of the Yucatan Peninsula. During Tianguis Turístico I saw how the driving cabin is. The service will start on the 1st of December connecting Cancún’s airport with Mérida.
And a big thank you for the great services onboard of Iberia:
The 10 highlights of Tianguis Turístico 2021 in Mérida
Read here for my article on Tianguis Turístico 2022 in Acapulco
Thanks to TravelwifiI have been connecte the whole trip. I use a hotspot so I do not need to ask for the wifi everywhere.