Lucky me, I was invited to attend the coolest event about luxury travel, Further East, in in one of my favorite destinations: Bali. The perfect occasion for bleisure and meet old and new friends and of course, to get the latest updates on luxury travel in the APAC Region.
First things first: What is Further East? it is Asia’s first immersive event experience exclusively dedicated to inbound high-end travel and it takes place in Seminyak, Bali in 4 different hotels along the beach. More information link here.
A different way of doing business.
Among the many meetings I held during Further East, I discover some new properties or unique experiences I want to share:
– Amilla Maldives: it is an authentically Maldivian property, and they uplift with musical and artistic talent, reveal local culinary delights and present genuine cultural experiences. All benefits go directly to the local economy.
Opened in 2014 it offers along 23.5 hectars 67 villas -220m2-, 40 of them are overwater, and one bubble villa and 3 multi-bedroom residences.
No doubt it is one of the most sustainable properties I have ever seen.
– Bawah Reserve: a big wow for this property: 6 pristine islands, 13 beaches and 3 lagoons. Located at just 160 nautical miles (300km) northeast of Singapore in the remote Anambas Archipelago, Indonesia. This pristine and previously uninhabited marine conservation area is surrounded by turquoise lagoons and coral reefs, which cater to outdoor adventurers looking to indulge as well as those looking to relax in paradise. Bawah offers sustainable luxury at its best.
It features 22 villas and since 2022 another island is ready with more villas.
Added to my #bucketlist.
– Song Saa Private Island: its name translates as sweethearts in Khmer. It was opened in 2012, it is located in a secluded slice of heaven that sits off the Cambodian coast. It comprises of 2 intimate islands – Koh Ouen and Koh Bong (ouen means woman on Khmer and bong man) –. Just 45 minutes away from the mainland.
Built with reclaimed timber and materials from the mainland, the resort’s design and architecture reiterates their commitment to sustainability. Each villa is a private sanctuary, a refined blend of thatched roofs, linen-draped canopy beds, up-cycled décor and repurposed furniture. Can’t wait to visit!!!
– Island House: located in Lord Howe Island – lies approximately 700 km northeast of Sydney- this far corner of the world offers a true paradise: from the towering mountains, the various inviting beaches, the hidden dive sites, to the iconic Ball’s Pyramid.
They offer two houses for just 8 guests in a very private setting surrounded by a forest of Kentia palms and centuries-old Banyan trees, modern design amidst the lush gardens:
– Banwa private island in the Palawan archipielago, Philippines. Two hour’s flight from Manila, it occupies 6,5 hectares, it can accommodate up to 48 guests in 12 garden rooms, six beach villas – with jacuzzis, pools and butler service – and residential suite. What else to fulfill your dream?
– Borneo Eco Tour in Sabah: located in island of Borneo (Malaysian side) with a truly jungle adventure in the Sukau Rainfortest lodge. Here you can experience what means to be in an ancient forest, nestled along the banks of the Kinabatangan River, Sabah’s longest river and home to many of Borneo’s endangered wildlife including the orangutan, proboscis monkeys and Bornean pygmy elephants.
The real adventure but very chic!
Properties in Bali
– The Ungasan Cliftop opened in 2011 and located in an impressive rooftop in the Bukit Peninsula, the 7 fabulous villas occupy a total of 3.5 hectares. Actually they offer a total of 35 rooms. All villas come with private a butler.
The Sunday’s Beach Club is one of the most beautiful in Bali with a beautiful location and includes water sports (paddle surf, kayak and snorkel). Add it to your agenda!
– GDAS Bali: it means servants of God. The resort opened in December 2022 offers 22 villas and all is plant based. Totally dedicated to health and wellness is for sure one of the must-go destinations in Bali. Cannot wait to return to the island and experience it.
– Ametis Villa: another stunning property located in Canggu, it is refreshing change from the hustle and bustle of other touristic areas and perfect to enjoy the vibrant life around the village and to explore the beaches around. It offers 14 villas, adults only, and each one occupies 350m2 or 500m2, really big!. Each has been created with the same meticulous attention to detail ensuring well-deserved time out to relax and recharge. And only 3 minutes away from the beach.
– Samabe: located in the peninsula of Nusa Dua, the resort opened in 2013 to offer a truly Balinese feel in a modern ambiance.
It offers 39 suites and 7 penthouses, and one of the most exclusive experiences is the Samabe’s Private Beach which has a favourite spot as it will turn into a dreamy dining venue in the evening, famously known as Samabe Cave Dining. Truly unique.
There is also the possibility to ask for an Unlimited Privileges or Luxury All Inclusive package designed for the ultimate luxury experience and satisfaction.
– The Balé Bali: located in Nusa Dua it is one of the top favorites for adults only, the basic pavilion is occupies 240m2! An entire private compound with a sleek, modernist pavilion, cool pool, tranquil garden and 24-hour butler attend to your every need. The resort’s guests have access to the exclusive Canna Beach Club just 100 meters away.
– Japan Tourism Board: after the slow re-opening of the country, they are focusing on wellness and sustainability. Regions outside the primary tourist locations like Kanazawa or Yakushima Island or the proposal to stay in a castle, dress as a samurai and live the experience.
Japan is far more than Tokyo and Kyoto. I cannot wait to travel back and discover «new» regions and specially write about onsens, the true wellness for the mind and the soul.
– Ryokan Kurashiku in the prefecture of Okayama, the village of Kurashiki with plenty of canals, 7 museums, and beautiful proposals for tourists, you can find this ryokan which was a former rice storage and now a unique property with 8 suites.
I cannot wait to travel to Japan.
– Tourism Bhutan: one of the few countries in Asia i still have not visited and it is at the top of my bucketlist. Five are the most visited valleys for the tourists and the country offer a really high value for the low volume of tourism. It is a kind of living museum of tradition and local culture.
I also give the team the prize to the best booth and surrounding of Further East!
– Malabar Hill: located in Weligama, Sri Lanka, one of my 3 top destinations in Asia and I feel it has so much to offer. I visited it for 21 days some years ago and one of my goals is to travel back soon.
Constructed using environmentally responsible processes and an abiding love of nature, this is where a cherished journey to the island begins.
The 14 exclusive villas are set within the natural landscape setting, providing both scenic views and comforting privacy. Floor to ceiling glass doors open out onto private terraces with infinity pools, artisan furniture and a rare sense of space and seclusion. Each villa has been created with Sri Lankan heritage in mind, visible in every flawless detail and luxury.
– Scenic Cruises: the Australian luxury cruises are launching in Europe in the most important and romantic destinations as the Danube, Douro rivers. They are all including exclusive cruises with around 50 or 100 guests:
– RAKxa Wellness: Opened its doors in December 2020 and is located close to Bangkok, sitting only an hour from both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang International Airports on Bang Krachao, an island across from Bangkok on the Chao Phraya River, but it feels like a world away. It is a medical and holistic wellness retreat, all in one. It has 60 (80m2) villas and 2 residences all in 85 acres! All about organic and sustainability.
As a spa freak I cannot wait to go and experience it.
To fly to Bali the fastest way from Europe is with Singapore Airlines which also offers the truly perfect service:
I had connection the whole time thanks to Travelwifii. I always travel with my pocket wifi and also 5 devices can be connected.
Read here how my days in Further East went, the full experience
Read my interview with Serge Dive, the founder of This is Beyond
In this link you can read my full experience in Kappa Senses Bali
Read here my favorite hotels in different areas in Bali
In this link you can read about my top hotels in Ubud.
Here you can see my favorite cafés and restaurants in Ubud
Check #GraupixBali in all my social media platforms to read more comments and see more pìctures about Bali